Sunday, November 27, 2011


So I have decided to start chronicling my adventures in meal making, as I used to be a huge n00b in this category but have been starting to branch out.

To start out with, my cooking does not involve any grains as I have been adhering to a modified Paleo Diet. It will also be as low in processed sugars as possible.

So here we go!

To start out with I made Mashed Cauliflower! I got the idea from a dear sorority sister of mine, and made some modifications.

1) Get a cauliflower (I got mine from the local Joe Caputo's)
2) Break that sucker up (large chunks, doesn't matter for the steaming process)
3) Put all of it into a microwave safe container with a lid and pour a bit of water in there to steam. Microwave for 5 minutes.
4) Drain water, put pieces into blender/food processor (or mash by hand, whatever you got!). I used my handy dandy cheap blender for this. Add about 1 cup of milk (I used organic whole milk). Mash that up! Add whatever spices you please. For this recipe I added a spoon of hummus, spoon or two of minced garlic, cajun seasoning salt and a spoon of yellow mustard.
5) NOM NOM NOM



Second Side: Shredded Brussel Sprout salad! Can be served hot or cold!
I got this idea from my boyfriend's sister, and again I made a variation.

1) Buy about 1-2 lbs of fresh brussel sprouts. Clean them up if any have any cruddy looking leaves on their.
2) Shred them. I used a Mandolin but you can also cut by hand, it just takes longer. Make the shreds large.
3) Also shred some red cabbage (for flavor and pretty color!). This is optional but it came out tasty.
4) Saute these suckers until they are cooked but still have a little crunch. Depending on how much you are making, it might take anywhere between 5-10 minutes. Add a little bit of oil to keep it from burning (I used a little olive oil). Turn off heat when done.
5) peel and chop up some cucumber slices and add them in, stir.
6) Add Rice vinegar, Sesame Oil and sea salt to taste, stir again.
7) Can be served hot or cold.

Main Course: Easy, Cheap and quick Salmon.

Normally I like to cook fresh Salmon, but sometimes I don't have anything fresh off hand. Sam's Club sells a 3lb bag of portioned plain salmon for about $24 (GREAT DEAL!). Really useful for nights when you are too tired to make the perfect salmon dish, and will settle for something easier but just as tasty.

1) Thaw out the salmon portions (I usually make two) in a bowl of warm water.
2) Pan fry it up, only takes about 5-10 minutes depending on thickness of portion. You can use any spices, sauces, whatever you want to do! Once I just poured on some Famous Dave's BBQ Sauce (Sugars, preservatives, I know, I know....) and it turned out awesome. This time I did the following:
            Marinade salmon in lime juice (1 lime squeeze), 1-2 tablespoons of yellow mustard and 1-2 tablespoons of the good mustard (I used Maille Dijon, that stuff is awesome). After cooking add some sauteed onions. I'm using some leftover onions and vinegar sauce from Seledka that I made a few nights earlier.

Salmon and Brussel Sprout Salad (served cold)

Seledka (pronounces See-yot-ka) This was made the night before (This picture is actually from Thanksgiving)







No comments:

Post a Comment