Saturday, January 28, 2012

Savory Lentil Soup



So my coworker Monica frequently brings in this lovely lentil soup she makes and it seemed easy enough for me to try for the first time and as always, I put my own spin on it. Mine did not come out as pretty as hers, but it was damn tasty.

Ingredients:
3 cups of dry green lentils
8-12 cups of water (depending on how thick you want the soup to be)
2 cups sliced fresh tomatoes
1 whole medium sized white onion
Seasonings to taste: Parsley, Oregano, Powdered Garlic, Salt, Pepper



Directions:
In a separate pan, sweat the onions then add to the boiling water, lentils, tomatoes and seasonings.
Once boiling lower heat to medium/high and cover for about 1 hour.
Once done the lentils should be soft. Add entire contents, including water, to blender. Blend until desired texture. I liked mine a little chunkier than smooth. I also added Worcestershire sauce to taste.
Serve in bowl, add dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of parsley to make it look pretty and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinaigrette.
It’s easy to store in the freezer or fridge, and hot water can always be added in the future to make it smoother.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment