Saturday, January 28, 2012

That weird drink I have for breakfast every morning....


Whey Protein Shake!

When I first started this paleo way of life, I needed something that would be a quick breakfast that I could carry around with me and keep me full until lunch. I used to drink a can of Slimfast every day but it became very apparent that the sugar content was ridiculous! My brother had me try out a whey protein shake, and at first I thought it was absolutely disgusting, then I made my owner recipe. It may not be the tastiest thing in the world but it gets the job done.

Ingredients:
I scoop Whey Protein
(note: be very careful with what you buy. Always check the ingredients, the less the better. Also the sugar content should be minimal, no more than 2g. The muscle building protein shakes are absolutely horrible for you. The one I use is organic from grass fed cows and can be purchased online. I usually go through a tub in 2 months)
I teaspoon of raw cacao powder
A sprinkle of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of Splenda (I should be using Truvia, but I have a lot of Splenda left I need to burn through!)
12-14oz’s of Organic Whole Milk



Directions:
Heat up the whole milk for about 2 minutes in the microwave.
Put the rest of the ingredients in blender. Pour in hot milk. Mix in blender for a few seconds until the cacao powder looks mostly dissolved. Not all of it will dissolve so you will frequently need to shake the drink up before sipping.
Pour into travelling shake contain and enjoy!
Any other items can be added to create different flavors. I tried honey once and it wasn’t too shabby. Avocado works well but it tends to get brown and ugly throughout the morning.
I tried adding some Kefir once but it made the consistency kind of gross and gloopy.
Feel free to experiment!



2 comments:

  1. I tried a similar shake last year and I just couldn't go through with drinking it because it had this funky smell. I blamed the powder. What are your thoughts?

    Jules
















    I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Hoolita!

      It does smell funny, but the Cinnamon helps cover it up. You just learn to deal with it. You get used to it too.

      Delete